Sun, Sky, Sand, Sea

In October of last year, I snagged some fabric for our local Project Linus’s challenge.  The fabric was some bright fish on a dark blue background.  I had a vague idea of what I wanted to do for a long time, and then I saw a picture of a carpenter’s square block and it crystallized in my mind.

 

Image

I put the “sun” in the center, followed by sky, sand, and sea with the appliqued fishies.

Image

 

I used fusible fleece on the fish so they puffed out a bit.

Image

 

The quilting went a bit south.  I wanted it to look like weather patterns – fronts moving in and hitting each other.  Sigh.  More than my very basic quilting skills could handle.  But in the end it looked ok – definitely gave the quilt a lot of movement.

 

Image

 

This is Project Linus #3 finish for this year.  Behind on my goal of one per month, but I will get caught up.

Linking up with Amanda for Finish It Friday.

Advertisements

Pink, Red, Yellow Quilt Tops

On Friday night, I ignored all of my in-progress projects and started a small girl quilt.  It is my default.  I got a hankering to do a pink, red, yellow something or other.  So I started making 1/2 square triangles, and by this morning, I had this – totes adorbs chevrons on a background of my favorite Dictionary print by Tim Holtz.  Love.

 

IMG_0236

 

But I had no idea what I was going to do with it.  No target audience, as it were.  I secured a pair of little girls who could be the willing recipients… and I made another one that related, but wasn’t the same.  Still pink, red, yellow – but with a numbers instead of words background.  And I love it also.

 

IMG_0238

 

There is some quilting and binding in my near future!

FEATHERS!!

 

This quilt took me a loooooong time (completed during the #feathersqal).  I faltered between giving up because it was too much work and loving it so much it was totally worth it.  I ended feeling the latter.  After all of the paper piecing and sashing work, I went for simple quilting… just in the ditch on either side of each strip… lazy but functional.

 

IMG_1473

 

The back was pieced using one of my very favorite Anna Maria Horner prints of, well, feathers, another AMH print from her true colors collection, and some of Nest by Mark Hordyszynski that was used as the background in the front.

 

 

IMG_1476

 

The binding is scrappy with a bit of every blue AMH fabric used on the top of the quilt.

 

Anyway, definitely the hardest and most beloved quilt I have made.

 

Linking up with crazy mom quilts for finish it friday

The State of Things… the Almost 40 Edition

Some works in progress a few days before my 40th birthday… woot!

I have been working on a mini swoon quilt.  My last block has some serious out of line lines that I will need to fix… but this is an adorable little pattern.  And each. block. takes. me. 3. hours!

 

IMG_1470

 

And I have been working on a quilt using challenge fabric for KC Project Linus.  I really didn’t like the fabric, but I finally got an idea out of how to make something I like.  I really liked the quilt top…

 

IMG_1441

 

But things have gone a bit south with the basting and the quilting.  Hope it will still end up ok… fingers crossed.  It is called sun sky sand sea.  (Notice the photobomb in the picture?)

 

And I made this little coaster using the rise and shine mini patten.  I spent a very frustrating afternoon making it.  I think it is only slightly better than hideous.  But then it got more likes on my Instragram feed than any other previous quilting picture… maybe pity likes?  Anyway, it serves its purpose at work.

 

IMG_1447

 

Finally, a wee bit of hexagon english paper piecing.  I actually have a plan for this one… I have made a lot of hexagons with no plan, so improvement.

 

IMG_1471

Thursday Therapy is Everyday!

I have been a terrible blogger, blah, blah, blah….

But here are some of the blocks I have made for my red, aqua, gold, and a bit of pink quilt…

My Slash Gordon block – original design, I guess…

 

IMG_1426

 

The Aurifil February block of the month… with a little modification in the size of the HSTs so that I could use my June Tailor 1/2 square triangle ruler thingie…

 

IMG_0207

 

 

And a giant block… 24″ x 24″ – made from the awesome Radiant Splendor block tutorial

 

IMG_1430