For the past 4 weeks, I have been chugging along at finishing about 2 quilts a week. They were small quilts, mostly done, and I have gotten good enough at machine binding that it doesn’t embarrass me to finish quilts this way.
This weekend my pace got a lot slower. On Saturday we went and lived a bit of life with a trip to Weston, MO. So I really had only one full day of sewing (cue tiny violin). Plus I hit the part of my to-do list that required making quilt tops, not just quilting and binding.
I have a friend who has daughters for whom I have wanted to make quilts. One of them really would love a minecraft quilt. Which I wasn’t too excited about – because it would need to be a biggish quilt (well, bigger than a baby quilt – she is 9 years old) and it would be with just solids. But over the last week I have buckled down and am almost done.
I ended up having a lot of fun with this quilt. I LOVE the color combination of the blues and pale greys and beiges. And I used up some white on white fabric, which I can’t imagine I would use otherwise.
The quilt for her second daughter is going to be “pixelated” also – using the Scraps, Anyone pattern from KC Project Linus. I only allow myself to use one of the awesome KC Project Linus patterns “for personal use” if I also make a quilt FOR Project Linus using the pattern. So add that to my list.
With not even getting one whole quilt done last weekend, I think I have to adjust my to-do list expectations for August. I had wanted to get done with everything except for just-for-me fun sewing, but there is no way I can get done with 8 Project Linus quilts by the end of the month. That was crazy. So my goal is to get through 4 so I am caught up for the year, and make the rest once-a-month as planned.
This is where my list is:
1. Irish Chain Interrupted – still need to be liquid enough to send this off for quilting. WAY too big for me to do at home.
Warm Star Project Linus Quilt – DONE!! 🙂
Bluebird Park Triangle Project Linus Quilt – DONE!! 🙂
4. Minecraft Diamond Sword Quilt – Almost done quilting
5. Shades of Blue Pixelated Quilt – Piecing in progress
6. Teal Star Project Linus Quilt – Top done, need to baste, quilt, bind
7. Shades of Yellow Pixelated Project Linus Quilt – Just in my head – to pay for the karma of using pattern for #5.
8. SD’s Brick Quilt – I really do need to make quilts for my own kids. I don’t think it bugs them as much as it bugs me, but I want to get a quilt for at least one of them done this month. Or at least pieced. This one will need to be sent off for quilting.
Once I get through this list, I can focus on some selfisher quilting projects. Which is good, because the list is GROWING!! Windmill quilt, gypsy wife, new living room wall hanging, single feather wall hanging, hexagon placemats – oy, so much to do!