I recently posted the most dope baby boy quilt have ever made. In the year of baby boy quilts (5 and counting), the latest one I made has supplanted the previous one in dopeness…
I just absolutely love how it turned out. This quilt is for very special friends, so I used my favorite fabric.. v and co ombre (in navy, lime, mint, gray, yellow, turquoise) and tim holtz dictionary fabric. I am down to about 7 yards of that and am getting more than a little panicky.
I quilted the top and batting together and the tied the backing to the top and batting using Aurifil floss (I am such a name dropper !). Tying takes so much more time than binding, but I love the effect so much more. I think the quilts look crisper, drapes better, and seems a bit more modern. This is probably all just in my imagination, but I like it better – you can’t stop me.
I finished this the night before it was mailed. So my pictures aren’t the best. But I know I’ll eventually get a gorgeous picture with a gorgeous baby on this quilt (hint, hint).
The quilt is a modification of a pattern that is free from purl soho. I am addicted to purl soho. More on that later. If you make piece with the number of 1/2-square triangles you have to make, this pattern is a dream. And I let go and let the blocks come together “organically”. That was difficult for me, but the results speak for themselves, I believe. If I were to write the pattern…
- Get some awesome prints and a ton of v and co ombre
- Cut a bunch of squares the same size – I cut 200.*
- Use the squares to make 1/2-square triangle blocks s until your eyes bleed. Or until you have a 2:1 ratio of 1/2 square triangle blocks to squares.
- Sew into a 10×12 grid.
* The pattern describes how to make 1/2-square triangles using 2 squares to yield 2 blocks. I use 2 squares to yield one block because I think it is the only way for me to get my blocks square without spending my life squaring blocks. BUT I do follow this one tip from Jenny at Missouri Star Quilt. This method takes a bit more time, but I think is worth it. Now all I need is a machine that irons open the seams on 1/2-square triangles without needing me. I’ll ask for that with my fourth wish.
I sew another seam 1/2 inch from the diagonal seam so I get a little baby block that I can use in a later project. Because we all know I am not going to use all of those triangle scraps, no matter how much I try to convince myself.
I started sewing some of the extra blocks together – pictured above. To the left of the cat… yes, I know the cat is cute, but there is some sewing in the picture too…yes, to the left of the cat.
For the backing, I got some more zoology. I have spent a lot of hours looking for cute backings for baby boy quilts, and all that searching brought me back to zoology. I had enough left over from projects to make a tote bag to donate to a local children’s hospital. Next to it is another safari-type print from a quilt I made several years ago. So adorable!
I loved the finished project of this quilt, and so I embark on making one for myself. I have cut, cut, cut. Now I am working on the 1/2-square triangles.