Project Linus, Ta Da Done

Improv

Hi – I had a lot of fun making two improv baby quilts.

This goal for the first one was to use about a bunch of 1/2-square triangle blocks.  I learned the trick from Jenny to sew an extra seam when making 1/2-square triangle blocks so you have a whole other block, rather than a bunch of triangles that are harder to use.

I have made several quilts using this method, so I had A LOT of 1/2-square triangles.  I was able to use them all and added some other improv piecing to make this adorable quilt to donate to Project Linus.

IMG_4911

I love the outcome so much.  The palette and piecing make me so happy.  And I made a boy’s quilt!

When I posted this quilt on instagram, a friend asked me to make a quilt for her niece in purple and grey.  I got about 1/2-way through making a giantized swoon block and then decided I hated it.  The grey was too muddy for the block to have impact.  So I started chopping and adding in some more improv.  You can see remnants of the swoon block shape in the quilt.  It took 2x longer to make than I expected, but I love the results.  Again, I think the restrained (at least restrained for me) color palette makes all the difference.

IMG_4931

I loved making these quilts.  Improv always takes longer than I think it will though – so it may be a bit before I take on any more of these.

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s